About Mr Shaheel Chummun
MRCS (Eng), MRCS (Ed), FRCS (Plast), MASurg (Craniofacial)
Mr Shaheel Chummun is a Consultant Plastic Surgeon based in Bristol. He undertook his specialist Plastic Surgery training in the UK and in Adelaide, Australia. He was awarded the FRCS(Plast) in 2014 and entered the GMC Specialist Register in 2016.
Masters of Advanced Surgery (Craniofacial), Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia (2015)
FRCS (Plast) (2014)
MRCS (Eng). The Royal College of Surgeons of England (2005)
MRCS (Ed). The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (2005)
MBBS. University of Newcastle Upon Tyne Medical School UK (1996-2001)
More about Shaheel
Mr Shaheel Chummun gained further super-specialist training in Craniofacial Surgery at the world renowned Australian Craniofacial Unit in Adelaide, and in Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery at Guys’ and St Thomas’ Hospital, London. He completed his master’s in advanced surgery in Craniofacial Surgery from Macquarie University, Sydney, and was awarded the Ethics prize for his thesis on advocating patients’ safety and rights in surgery.
Mr. Chummun undertook two aesthetic fellowships, the first at The London Clinic, and the second at The Cadogan Clinic, Chelsea, as the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (BAAPS)/ ScarFree Foundation Aesthetic fellow.
Mr. Chummun has over 40 scientific plastic surgery articles and regularly presents at national and international conferences. He is involved in teaching at postgraduate level.
Mr. Chummun was appointed as a Cleft and Plastic Surgery Consultant at the South West Cleft Services, in 2017. He is the only plastic surgeon in the South West of England who undertakes complex cleft rhinoplasties in his NHS practice.
original papers & reviews
- Delayed breast reconstruction in idiopathic granulomatous mastitis. NR McLean, S Chummun, M Youssef and G Bristow. Accepted for publication in the European Journal of Plastic Surgery. DOI: 10.1007/s00238-018-1474-4
- Outcomes of the use of Ligamentotaxor® for proximal interphalangeal fractures of the hand: North Bristol hand centre experience. Awad, G.A., Everton, F., Downs, M., Chummun S and Wilson S. Eur J Plast Surg (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00238-018-1398-z
- The management of skin cancers. S Chummun and NR McLean. Surgery (Oxford), September 2017, 35(9): 519-524
- Management of the exposed prosthesis, a six-year review. Young K, Chummun S, Wright T, Darley E, Chapman TW, Porteous AJ, Murray JR, Khan U. Knee. 2016 Aug;23(4):736-9
- The craniofacial and upper limb management of Nager syndrome. S Chummun, NR McLean, PJ Anderson, C van Nieuwenhoven, I Mathijssen and DJ David. J Craniofac Surg. 2016 Jun;27(4):932-7
- The management of isolated, non-syndromic sagittal synostosis: a systematic review. S Chummun, NR McLean, WJ Flapper and DJ David. J Craniofac Surg. 2016 Mar;27(2):299-304
- Outcome of the management of open ankle fractures in an ortho-plastic specialist centre. S Chummun, TC Wright, TWL Chapman and U Khan. Injury 2015, Jun 46(6):1112-5
- Management of skin cancers. S Chummun and NR McLean. Surgery (Oxford), Volume 32, Issue 9, September 2014, Pages 485-490
- Early discharge protocol for regional node dissection for skin cancer: The Frenchay Algorithm. S Chummun, G Awad and A Orlando. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2014; 67(8): e212-e213
- A long-term evaluation of 150 costochondral nasal grafts. S Chummun, NR McLean, PJ Anderson and DJ David. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2013;66(11): 1477-81
- Poly Implant Prothèse (PIP) breast implants: Our experience. S Chummun and NR McLean. The Surgeon (2013), 11(5):
- The role of genioplasty in the management of craniofacial deformities. S Chummun, NR McLean, KA Nowakowski, PJ Anderson, M Nugent and DJ David. Arch Orofac Sci (2013), 8(1): 1-7
- Does vascular injury affect the outcome of patients with open tibial fractures? S Chummun, T Wigglesworth, T Wright, TW Chapman and U Khan. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Feb;131(2):303-9
- Binder Syndrome: A 30-year review. S Chummun, NR McLean, T Al-Bulushi, PJ Anderson, M Nugent and DJ David. J Craniofac Surg. 2012 Jul;23(4):986-90
- Delayed presentation of IIIB tibial fractures: outcome following management in a specialist centre. S Chummun, AF Bhatti, T Chesser and U Khan. Eur J Plas Surg 2012; 35(1): 25-30
- The management of skin cancers (Review). S Chummun and NR McLean. Surgery 2011; 29(10): 529-33
- Early intervention following an unusual late complication of cantilever nasal costochondral grafts. S Chummun, WM Janahi, NR McLean, PJ Anderson and DJ David. Archives of Orofacial Sciences 2010; 5(2): 53-7
- Does a trauma clinic improve the diagnosis of soft tissue hand injuries? S Chummun, TD Winwood, RLC Milligan and SM Wilson. Eur J Plast Surg (2010) 33:121–124
- Osmotic tissue expander: A 5-year experience. S Chummun, P Addison and KJ Stewart. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2010; 63(12): 2128-2132
- Desmoid tumour of the breast (Review). S Chummun, NR McLean, S Abraham and M Youssef. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2010; 63(2): 339-45
- Prospective, randomised, single-blinded study comparing the use of flexible nasendoscope vs. rigid laryngoscope in outpatient laryngeal examination. S Chummun, SC Winter and Mark R Draper. Journal of Otolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgery 2009; 38(1): 1-5
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the head and neck: a 13-year review. S Chummun, PC Howlett, NR McLean, CG Kelly, A Welsh and JV Soames. Eur J Plast Surg 2008; 30:277-28
- Surgical Education: Neck dissection (Review). S Chummun, M Ragbir and NR McLean. British Journal of Plastic Surgery 2004; 57(7): 610-623
- Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. S Chummun, NR McLean, CG Kelly, PJDK Dawes, D Meikle, S Fellows and JV Soames. British Journal of Plastic Surgery 2001; 54(6): 476-480
Get in touch
If you have any queries or would like to book an appointment, please use the contact form or get in touch via call or email.